Friday 2 January 2009

Resolution.

We all think about what we can do to alter our lives in some way at this time of year - be it giving up a bad habit, taking up a new sport or hobby, eating less, doing more in the community or just being a more considerate person - and I am no different. I begin thinking about what I can do to change my life in the weeks leading up to Christmas and New Year and then BANG! here we are, and I haven't decided yet.

I could resume my favourite hobby of drawing and sketching - but work and family commitments will get in the way.

I could return to the gym and get fitter - but work and family commitments and my current state of health will get in the way.

I could be a nicer person, helping out at my local down-and-out centre - but work and family commitments will get in the way.

I could stop smoking (for the fortieth time in five years) - but the stresses of work and family commitments will get in the way.

I could read more - I love a good horror story - but my work covers long hours and family commitments will get in the way.

I could stop all medication and start thinking positively - but that would impact upon both my work and family commitments.

So much hope. So many choices. So much I can do to become a better person, but so little time. There's always something else to do, always something that gets in the way.

I'm not going to choose a single one of the above potentials. I'm going to do a little of it all.

My New Years Resolution is to:

Give up procrastination.

5 comments:

® ♫ The Brit ♪ ® said...

Hi Gary,
I've never been a fan of New Year Resolutions....
I usually make all my "resolutions" throughout the whole year, but they are more like decisions to do something new or improve myself really, to keep in check...

I feel that New Year Resolutions are just made to be broken usually, or to make people feel depressed about all their "negative points" that they look for within themselves - not very healthy in my opinion.

All the best! Donnie

Unknown said...

Thanks Donnie,

You are quite right - resolutions, like rules, are meant to be broken. However they do make us focus on change for the good of others too and that's got to be healthy!

Anything that makes us think about our impact on our surroundings and those around us has to be worthwhile.

Gary

Rune Eide said...

Or just plain forget it. Resolutions can be made at any time of the year. It is even better do to so, since New Year's Resolutions are "meant" to be broken. They always are and always will be.

Liz Hinds said...

I read about someone's resolutions. He or she (I can't remember) said he/she was going to set and re-set limits. Such as I will walk to work once this week, twice next week, etc, or I will give up smoking for this week. In small doses they become more achievable.

Krimo said...

I've given up giving up.
Resolutions are like moving targets!
But if you want to give up smoking, try coffee beans.