Sunday, 31 August 2008
Saturday, 30 August 2008
Friday, 29 August 2008
Thursday, 28 August 2008
To join in with Skywatch Friday visit The Skywatch Blog and sign in on Mister Linky.
Tuesday, 26 August 2008
So, in order to cram her brain with as much non-TV knowledge as possible we try to take her out to places of interest. One such place is Kirkleatham Owl Centre near Redcar. Emily loved it. (I'll keep my thoughts about it to a later post.)
Sunday, 24 August 2008
Saturday, 23 August 2008
Today they also announced that they were hiking up my electricity and gas charges by 21% and 29% respectively. How nice of them.
Why are they doing it?
Simple answer: GREED. The greed of the big fat cat shareholders, looking to further line their already richly lined pockets.
Oh how I miss the days when the Gas and Electricity 'Boards' as they were known, were controlled by the state. At least then an unpopular government could gain some ground by freezing price hikes, or cutting charges.
Bring back state ownership of the utilities. The competitive marketplace in essential utilities is a complete farce - there's no such thing as competition - they're ALL raking in millions and millions at our expense.
Rather than taking over troubled banks, the government should be investing that money into our utility infrastructure to rid us of the scourge of greedy private shareholders.
Rant over. Happy weekend. Stay warm - but don't put the heating on!!
Tuesday, 19 August 2008
Sunday, 17 August 2008
I'd padded out the post with personal experiences and recounted family tales of loud bangs on doors in the dead of night when no one was there, only for the occupants to learn of a death in the family the next day - the death occurring at the precise time of the knocking!!
It was really spooky stuff - I almost scared myself writing it!! lol
I clicked "Publish Post", the screen flickered for a brief second, and then.........
"Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close, we are sorry for any inconvenience....."
Aaaaaarrrggghhhhhh!!! - But wait... Blogger had been autosaving my draft, so there should be no problem, it'll be recoverable. Might need to rewrite the last couple of sentences, no problem. Phew!!
Internet Explorer did as it had promised and closed down. I restarted it and logged straight back in to Blogger - Edit Posts - look for untitled draft.....
Gone. Vanished. Evaporated.
Someone (or something) obviously didn't want you to read my spooky tales......
Wednesday, 13 August 2008
Tuesday, 12 August 2008
Sunday, 10 August 2008
The stress of losing my computer, fixing it, installing antivirus software which slowed it down to a snail's pace, and then having to remove it and reinstall Windows XP from scratch wore me down, and stressed me out to the point that my little gut fiend (no, I didn't miss an 'r' out!) decided to have a bit of a flare up! Had to cancel all of my meetings from Wednesday onwards because of it. Yesterday was the worst day I've had for a month or so, but feeling much brighter today and the sun is shining which always lightens the spirit.
A tip for you today - If you ever have to completely wipe your hard drive and reinstal your operating system, wait until your operating system has installed all of the necessary updates and service packs before installing the antivirus software - I did it the other way round and it took me four and a half hours to download and install Windows XP Service Pack 3!!! (When I did it the right way round it took 49 minutes! - bit of a difference!)
We live and learn.
(First post using Blogger in Draft)
Friday, 8 August 2008
So as not to upset folk I have decided to reproduce them from the email notifications I get each time someone leaves a comment. My apologies if you have visited after posting, only to find your post missing!! It's Bloggers fault!! Did anyone else find this???
Here are the comments in full:
magiceye has left a new comment on your post "ABC Wednesday - C is for...": great pic and quotes too!
Kjerstis HjÃ¸rne has left a new comment on your post "ABC Wednesday - C is for...": Lovely cat, I am a dog-person but cats are cute..
AphotoAday has left a new comment on your post "ABC Wednesday - C is for...": Well, what a fine looking "tuxedo cat"...Enjoyed reading your post -- really quite interesting -- I think I'll print that out and put it on the wall... I've got a cat, and it looks EXACTLY like yours... She is the love of my life (sorry ladies), and right now she would be sitting on my lap -- making typing for me as difficult as possible -- the I had the cable man here this morning and she is still freaked out from all the excitement... My Kitty has her own little silly blog, and if you look hard enough at my blog you may see a link... Best regards, Don and Kitty
Old Wom Tigley has left a new comment on your post "ABC Wednesday - C is for...": Only become a cat lover in the last year or two... and even then it's only one cat that lives across the street but comes visiting.. it came by today and jumped in through the open window and came to snuggle up on my knee.
photowannabe has left a new comment on your post "ABC Wednesday - C is for...": Great quotes and though I'm not a cat person I enjoyed your thoughts and pictures.
Kim has left a new comment on your post "ABC Wednesday - C is for...": I don't know what i would do without my cat. She loves me like nothing else can, unconditionally. Great quotes, I loved reading them :)
ellen b has left a new comment on your post "ABC Wednesday - C is for...": Cats are so darn entertaining! Enjoy...
Gemma has left a new comment on your post "ABC Wednesday - C is for...": Nice post. I miss my cat!<^..^<
Greyscale Territory has left a new comment on your post "ABC Wednesday - C is for...": A great post! And yes! We are the entertainment for cats as well as the staff!
Bear Naked has left a new comment on your post "ABC Wednesday - C is for...": "A meow massages the heart."- What a beautiful saying.Bear((( )))
me ann my camera has left a new comment on your post "ABC Wednesday - C is for...": Cats are wonderful companions. We always had one up to a few years ago. Lots of food for thought here for cat lovers. Also great looking Cat!
Bibi has left a new comment on your post "ABC Wednesday - C is for...": Agree with Babooshka about being a dog person (after all, see my avatar!)but I appreciate cats more now, thanks to your quotes. Bibi is similar to your Pepper, but she can hear the refrigerator door opened no matter how softly from wherever she is in out apartment...
ArneA has left a new comment on your post "ABC Wednesday - C is for...": I have copied your post to my wife and two daughters. They are more cat people than I.We had a cat before going to Asia with the name Socrates. He was very smart and when the doorbell rang counted the number of us inside before hiding or not.
Tash has left a new comment on your post "ABC Wednesday - C is for...": Cats are people too. Hmmm, maybe they are just cats, on the other hand... but I know that Pepper is precious.
Patty has left a new comment on your post "ABC Wednesday - C is for...": Aww what a pretty baby. I have two cats but didn't think to use them for my C photo
leslie has left a new comment on your post "ABC Wednesday - C is for...": I'm a dog person, too, but there are some great quotes here. These are my favourites:"Dogs come when they're called. Cats take a message and get back to you."- Mary Bly"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."- Unknown"Dogs have owners, cats have staff."- UnknownGreat post!
babooshka has left a new comment on your post "ABC Wednesday - C is for...": I am a dog person, buts observing cats will never be the same now. Really great quotes.
Denise has left a new comment on your post "ABC Wednesday - C is for...": Gary, great stuff! So profound & researched!
Liz has left a new comment on your post "ABC Wednesday - C is for...": She looks quite haughty - as if to say, really, can't I sit under here without having my photo taken again?Great quotes.
Ackworth Born has left a new comment on your post "ABC Wednesday - C is for...": I don't really like cats but ...
Texas Travelers has left a new comment on your post "ABC Wednesday - C is for...": Great quotes.Now I know all I need to know about our cats.Our "C" is Here.Come visit,Troy and Martha
Tuesday, 5 August 2008
This is Pepper, she's eight years old and we rescued her from the streets as a kitten. I can't imagine our household without a cat. Ever since I can remember we have always had at least one ( and a maximum of three) I have a special affinity with them, and they seem to understand me more than the other members of the McArthur household. When she's hungry and other McArthurs get up as if to go into the kitchen she stays where she is, but if I so much as move my foot or make to get up from my chair, she's squirming round my legs in a flash. So for this ABC I thought I'd enlighten you with some interesting cat quotes I found at CatsInfo.com
- "In the beginning, God created man, but seeing him so feeble, He gave him the cat."- Warren Eckstein
- "A home without a cat- and a well-fed, well-petted and properly revered cat- may be a perfect home, perhaps, but how can it prove title?"- Pudd'nhead Wilson
- "If animals could speak the dog would be a a blundering outspoken fellow, but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much."- Mark Twain
- "A cat is more intelligent than people believe, and can be taught any crime."-Mark Twain Notebook, 1895
- "I simply can't resist a cat, particularly a purring one. They are the cleanest, cunningest, and most intelligent things I know, outside of the girl you love, of course."- Abroad with Mark Twain and Eugene Field, Fisher
- "Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat."- Mark Twain Notebook, 1894
- "You can keep a dog; but it is the cat who keeps people, because cats find humans useful domestic animals."- George Mikes from "How to be decadent
- "Dogs come when they're called. Cats take a message and get back to you."- Mary Bly
- "For a man to truly understand rejection, he must first be ignored by a cat."- Anon
- "I love cats because I love my home and after a while they become its visible soul."- Jean Cocteau
- "There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."- Albert Schweitzer
- "There are few things in life more heartwarming than to be welcomed by a cat."- Tay Hohoff
- " God made the cat in order that humankind might have the pleasure of caressing the tiger."- Fernand Mery
- "There are few things in life more heartwarming than to be welcomed by a cat."- Tay Hohoff
- "Cats are smarter than dogs. You can't get eight cats to pull a sled through snow. "- Jeff Valdez
- "Way down deep, we're all motivated by the same urges. Cats have the courage to live by them."- Jim Davis
- "There is, incidentally, no way of talking about cats that enables one to come off as a sane person."- Dan Greenberg
- "The smallest feline is a masterpiece."- Leonardo da Vinci
- "In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats."- English Proverb
- "Beware of people who dislike cats."- Irish Proverb
- "You will always be lucky if you know how to make friends with strange cats."- Colonial American Proverb
- "With the qualities of cleanliness, affection, patience, dignity, and courage that cats have, how many of us, I ask you, would be capable of becoming cats?"- Fernand Mery
- "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
- "I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior."- Hippolyte Taine
- "A meow massages the heart."- Stuart McMillan
- "No matter how much cats fight, there always seems to be plenty of kittens."- Abraham Lincoln
- "Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God."- Unknown
- "Time spent with cats is never wasted."- Unknown
- "Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."- Unknown
- " No heaven will not ever be Heaven be; Unless my cats are there to welcome me."- Unknown
- " How we behave toward cats here below determines our status in heaven."- Robert A. Heinlein
- "Dogs have owners, cats have staff."- Unknown
- "Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this."- Anonymous
- " There are many intelligent species in the universe. They are all owned by cats."- Anonymous
- "No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch."- Leo Dworken
- "One cat just leads to another."- Ernest Hemingway
- "The cat has too much spirit to have no heart."- Ernest Menaul
- "As every cat owner knows, nobody owns a cat."- Ellen Perry Berkeley
- "People who hate cats, will come back as mice in their next life."- Faith Resnick
- "One reason we admire cats is for their proficiency in one-upmanship. They always seem to come out on top, no matter what they are doing, or pretend they do."- Barbara Webster
- "I have noticed that what cats most appreciate in a human being is not the ability to produce food which they take for granted--but his or her entertainment value."- Geoffrey Household
- "As anyone who has ever been around a cat for any length of time well knows cats have enormous patience with the limitations of the human kind."- Cleveland Amory
For more interesting 'C's visit ABC Wednesday's New Blog. and sign in on Mr Linky
Cat quotes courtesy of Cats Info.com
Monday, 4 August 2008
Sunday, 3 August 2008
Normal service will resume as soon as possible!!!!