Tuesday 5 August 2008

ABC Wednesday - C is for...

Cats.

This is Pepper, she's eight years old and we rescued her from the streets as a kitten. I can't imagine our household without a cat. Ever since I can remember we have always had at least one ( and a maximum of three) I have a special affinity with them, and they seem to understand me more than the other members of the McArthur household. When she's hungry and other McArthurs get up as if to go into the kitchen she stays where she is, but if I so much as move my foot or make to get up from my chair, she's squirming round my legs in a flash. So for this ABC I thought I'd enlighten you with some interesting cat quotes I found at CatsInfo.com

  • "In the beginning, God created man, but seeing him so feeble, He gave him the cat."- Warren Eckstein
  • "A home without a cat- and a well-fed, well-petted and properly revered cat- may be a perfect home, perhaps, but how can it prove title?"- Pudd'nhead Wilson
  • "If animals could speak the dog would be a a blundering outspoken fellow, but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much."- Mark Twain
  • "A cat is more intelligent than people believe, and can be taught any crime."-Mark Twain Notebook, 1895
  • "I simply can't resist a cat, particularly a purring one. They are the cleanest, cunningest, and most intelligent things I know, outside of the girl you love, of course."- Abroad with Mark Twain and Eugene Field, Fisher
  • "Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat."- Mark Twain Notebook, 1894
  • "You can keep a dog; but it is the cat who keeps people, because cats find humans useful domestic animals."- George Mikes from "How to be decadent
  • "Dogs come when they're called. Cats take a message and get back to you."- Mary Bly
  • "For a man to truly understand rejection, he must first be ignored by a cat."- Anon
  • "I love cats because I love my home and after a while they become its visible soul."- Jean Cocteau
  • "There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."- Albert Schweitzer
  • "There are few things in life more heartwarming than to be welcomed by a cat."- Tay Hohoff
  • " God made the cat in order that humankind might have the pleasure of caressing the tiger."- Fernand Mery
  • "There are few things in life more heartwarming than to be welcomed by a cat."- Tay Hohoff
  • "Cats are smarter than dogs. You can't get eight cats to pull a sled through snow. "- Jeff Valdez
  • "Way down deep, we're all motivated by the same urges. Cats have the courage to live by them."- Jim Davis
  • "There is, incidentally, no way of talking about cats that enables one to come off as a sane person."- Dan Greenberg
  • "The smallest feline is a masterpiece."- Leonardo da Vinci
  • "In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats."- English Proverb
  • "Beware of people who dislike cats."- Irish Proverb
  • "You will always be lucky if you know how to make friends with strange cats."- Colonial American Proverb
  • "With the qualities of cleanliness, affection, patience, dignity, and courage that cats have, how many of us, I ask you, would be capable of becoming cats?"- Fernand Mery
  • "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
  • "I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior."- Hippolyte Taine
  • "A meow massages the heart."- Stuart McMillan
  • "No matter how much cats fight, there always seems to be plenty of kittens."- Abraham Lincoln
  • "Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God."- Unknown
  • "Time spent with cats is never wasted."- Unknown
  • "Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."- Unknown
  • " No heaven will not ever be Heaven be; Unless my cats are there to welcome me."- Unknown
  • " How we behave toward cats here below determines our status in heaven."- Robert A. Heinlein
  • "Dogs have owners, cats have staff."- Unknown
  • "Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this."- Anonymous
  • " There are many intelligent species in the universe. They are all owned by cats."- Anonymous
  • "No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch."- Leo Dworken
  • "One cat just leads to another."- Ernest Hemingway
  • "The cat has too much spirit to have no heart."- Ernest Menaul
  • "As every cat owner knows, nobody owns a cat."- Ellen Perry Berkeley
  • "People who hate cats, will come back as mice in their next life."- Faith Resnick
  • "One reason we admire cats is for their proficiency in one-upmanship. They always seem to come out on top, no matter what they are doing, or pretend they do."- Barbara Webster
  • "I have noticed that what cats most appreciate in a human being is not the ability to produce food which they take for granted--but his or her entertainment value."- Geoffrey Household
  • "As anyone who has ever been around a cat for any length of time well knows cats have enormous patience with the limitations of the human kind."- Cleveland Amory

For more interesting 'C's visit ABC Wednesday's New Blog. and sign in on Mr Linky

Cat quotes courtesy of Cats Info.com

22 comments:

Texas Travelers said...

Great quotes.
Now I know all I need to know about our cats.

Our "C" is Here.
Come visit,
Troy and Martha

Gerald (Ackworth born) said...

I don't really like cats but ...

Liz Hinds said...

She looks quite haughty - as if to say, really, can't I sit under here without having my photo taken again?

Great quotes.

mrsnesbitt said...

Gary, great stuff! So profound & researched!

Jane Hards Photography said...

I am a dog person, buts observing cats will never be the same now. Really great quotes.

Leslie: said...

I'm a dog person, too, but there are some great quotes here. These are my favourites:

"Dogs come when they're called. Cats take a message and get back to you."- Mary Bly
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."- Unknown
"Dogs have owners, cats have staff."- Unknown


Great post!

Leslie: said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Patty said...

Aww what a pretty baby. I have two cats but didn't think to use them for my C photo

Tash said...

Cats are people too. Hmmm, maybe they are just cats, on the other hand... but I know that Pepper is precious.

ArneA said...

I have copied your post to my wife and two daughters. They are more cat people than I.
We had a cat before going to Asia with the name Socrates. He was very smart and when the doorbell rang counted the number of us inside before hiding or not.

Pat said...

Agree with Babooshka about being a dog person (after all, see my avatar!)but I appreciate cats more now, thanks to your quotes. Bibi is similar to your Pepper, but she can hear the refrigerator door opened no matter how softly from wherever she is in out apartment...

me ann my camera said...

Cats are wonderful companions. We always had one up to a few years ago. Lots of food for thought here for cat lovers. Also great looking Cat!

Bear Naked said...

"A meow massages the heart."-
What a beautiful saying.

Bear((( )))

Gemma Wiseman said...

A great post! And yes! We are the entertainment for cats as well as the staff!

gma said...

Nice post.
I miss my cat!
<^..^<

Anonymous said...

Cats are so darn entertaining! Enjoy...

Kim said...

I don't know what i would do without my cat. She loves me like nothing else can, unconditionally. Great quotes, I loved reading them :)

photowannabe said...

Great quotes and though I'm not a cat person I enjoyed your thoughts and pictures.

Tom said...

Only become a cat lover in the last year or two... and even then it's only one cat that lives across the street but comes visiting.. it came by today and jumped in through the open window and came to snuggle up on my knee.

AphotoAday said...

Well, what a fine looking "tuxedo cat"...
Enjoyed reading your post -- really quite interesting -- I think I'll print that out and put it on the wall...

I've got a cat, and it looks EXACTLY like yours... She is the love of my life (sorry ladies), and right now she would be sitting on my lap -- making typing for me as difficult as possible -- the I had the cable man here this morning and she is still freaked out from all the excitement... My Kitty has her own little silly blog, and if you look hard enough at my blog you may see a link...

Best regards, Don and Kitty

Kjersti said...

Lovely cat, I am a dog-person but cats are cute..

magiceye said...

great pic and quotes too!